Saturday 23 November 2013

Putting your Feet First

The importance of foot care to hikers cannot be easily overstated. Surely every hiker knows this and acts accordingly? Yet in the track notes that I read beforehand it was hard not to be struck by the number of references to foot problems. In some cases the writer was forever re-taping toes, or mentioning how hard it was to move because of blisters. In other cases friends who had joined them for a while were obliged to stop because of ailments amongst which foot problems featured prominently. 

Why is this? Lack of time, lack of information or an excess of "it won't happen to me" optimism. Perhaps it is due to a macho "I can do this despite the pain" attitude. Well fine maybe you can, but you might actually enjoy it a little more with a little less pain.

So to help counterbalance at least the second of those reasons I'll add my tuppence worth. There is already a wealth of information out there, and feet being as varied as the people to whom they are attached, this may or may not be of much help to any one individual. 

So for what it is worth I offer some information on what I do and wish you luck with what you do!


Footwear

I wore boots that I had already walked about 1500km in without any problems. These had a footbed (Superfeet Green) on which I had walked close to 5000km. I carried 4 pairs of wool socks. Two thick (Bridgedale), one medium (Icebreaker) and one thin (Merino "evening wear"). Over the top I put low gaiters to reduce dirt, stones and bits of plants or wood from getting into my boots.

I changed socks about every three to four days, sometimes less if drying conditions were good. I used talcum powder liberally during the first couple of weeks.

If I did it again I would reckon that three pairs of the Icebreaker socks would probably be sufficient as these dry quicker than the Bridgedale. I might drop down a bit of weight on the footwear to a sturdy trail shoe. I'd stick with the inner soles and the gaiters though.


Dressing

I put on my socks very carefully, making sure that there is no dirt or foreign bodies stuck to either feet or socks. In particular I check for seeds that might stick to the socks. I powder my feet and add a bit to the socks. I also make sure that there are no wrinkles in the socks. This is partly a function of care, but also requires socks to be the right size for both foot and boot. 

Whenever possible I then wear the boots unlaced for a few minutes to let it all bed down. This seems especially important first thing in the morning when the boots appear to be a tighter fit.

If there is even a hint of something not right I fix it right then and there, even to the extent of taking the sock of and starting again with that foot.


Lacing

I tie my laces in a specific and consistent manner. First I get the lower part of the lacing adjusted correctly and then lock that section in. This requires that the hooks on your boots enable this. Secondly I lace upwards and then back down a couple of rows. Then I tie a bow. Finally I tie a double overhand knot with the loops to lock in the bow. I use 3mm cord for laces and carry some spare. The gaiters then cover all this neatly.


The result

I had one small (like 5c) blister behind one heel on day two. This lasted a day after careful treatment. After that nothing at all. No foot pain and no discomfort. This makes a massive difference when you are walking a long way.


Fixing your feet

This site is a valuable resource: http://www.fixingyourfeet.com/

In the bundle of notes I took with me was the advice from this website devoted to foot care. Although aimed at runners there is much that is applicable to hikers. 

If there are only two things to take away from reading these notes they are: 
1. Place foot care at the top of your priority list.
2. Prevention is better than Mitigation.

If you never let your feet get into a bad state then you will have a much more pleasant time of it.


Some steps to take

- Walk in tried and tested footwear. If you absolutely must wear something new then make it a brand and model with which you are already familiar and comfortable.
- Every component (Boot/Shoe/Footbed/Sock/Foot) must work together. You neglect any part at your peril.
- Keep your feet clean and preferably dry. Easier said than done admittedly.
- Where possible allow your feet to rest and air them when you stop.
- Keep your feet lubricated.
- Treat foot infections immediately.
- Trim toenails regularly and with care. I don't subscribe to the "cut straight across" maxim, but others do.
- Change and dry out socks regularly.
- Put your footwear on with great care every single time.
- Prevention, prevention, prevention.
- Become knowledgeable in how to treat problems if they do arise. You can use this knowledge to help others.


Last but not least


Beware of injuries around camp when you are not wearing boots. Be especially vigilant about treading on tent pegs or other sharp objects. Been there and done that!

Happy hikers always puts their feet first!

No comments: