Friday 1 November 2013

Diet

On the dietary front I made some changes. For starters, by avoiding refuges I was able to stay vegetarian for the entire trail, something that was out of the question in 2000. I reduced my reliance on massive doses of carbs and upped the fat and protein content considerably (mostly with cheese, but also with butter and eggs). Sometimes I was able to cook close to the point of purchase to save some of the weight carried on my back,but of course this initially made no difference to the weight on my legs. I carried more dried fruit and nuts but fewer museli bars. In general I treid to eat less at a time but more often.

Once my initial supply of nice French Bio Muesli was exhausted I switched to bread. The bread in Gavarnie was especially good, but the bread in Spain is generally poor. I always had a healthy supply of biscuits ("Palets Breton") for afternoon tea (a most important and enjoyable moment in the day). Over time I acquired a selection of drinks - black tea, red tea (Te Rojo), Rooibos and hot chocolate. In France I could get real cocoa powder, but in Spain, as usual, there was only a poor subsitute available. Better than nothing at all I guess. A bit of variety is quite important on a long trail*.

Cheese (for those that like it and can digest it) is the one commodity that can be found in remote places at regular intervals. And it is unfailingly excellent.

* My favourite story about food variety comes from NZ. I read there of a pair of hunters who set off for a week or so in the bush. For sustenance they carried only a very large bag of porridge. But for variety they had 8 different food dyes. One for each day of their trip. Sweet as bro!

No comments: