Sunday 3 November 2013

Gear

There is a list of what I took and a comment on each item in the documents I have uploaded.
I haven't included the weight as I didn't have an accurate scale to do small items and, while interested, I am not obsessive about it. It merely has to be within one's comfort range. But I appreciate that less weight has huge benefits and make some effort and investment to reduce where possible without compromising safety or enjoyment.

At a guess I'd say my base weight was around 10kg, perhaps a little less. With food, fuel and water that could climb to 20-22kg after a big resupply.

Once I'd got through the first few days, when the body needs to adapt to the trail, it was not too hard. Downhill was more difficult than uphill and rocky unstable terrain more difficult than downhill.

Most items were categorised into Exped drybags, and everything inside the pack was in a large bin liner.

Top tips:
- Poles are a really good plan
- The very light tent and cooking gear were brilliant.
- Runner up is the Mont-Bell down jacket.
- First prize has to go to the North Face running shorts. 

The next biggest change I am considering on the weight reduction front is switching to walking shoes (such as 5.10) where the terrain allows this. I am most especially interested in shoes that dry quickly and weigh less, but still have good grippy soles. Further reductions in the technology would also be welcome. It is a work in progress.

No comments: