Friday 1 November 2013

Fuel

There were just two places where I felt I was lucky to get a bottle of Meths (for my alcohol burning stove) - Salardu and Tavascan. My stove can also cope with wood which was my plan B, and can use Esbit tablets. However I didn't have any of these. Half a dozen of these would be a good plan C.

I failed consistently to check on gas supplies as I was not using it myself, and in trying to remember everything else it tended to slip my mind. However others have already done this. My new gas stove is the MSR Superfly which works with both cylinder types and something of that sort would be highly advisable if you did want to use gas. As an alternative ESBIT (I think) make a converter to allow a screw-type head to work on a camping-gaz type canister.

I won't go into all the pluses and minuses of different fuels here, other than to say that for this particular trip I would definitely go with using alcohol again. The new stove and pot system was a major success.

No comments: