Thursday 31 October 2013

Water

For most of the central section water is readily available from streams or lakes. It may need treatment, but at least it exists. However in the Basque country and on some of the crests near the end there are stretches with little or no water. It was something to which one should devote a certain degree of attention. 

I have recorded about 30 water points in these areas which may be of use in planning stops or refills. Generally these are all flowing (one or two may have a tap). I make no statement about the water quality so that remains an individual judgement. I used them and apparently have suffered no ill effects. And it is not an exhaustive list as I didn't include a few houses where I may have obtained a refill or streams in areas where one would normally expect to find water.

For a small number of my campsites near the beginning I was very glad to have the capacity of four bottles (600ml, 750ml, 1000ml and 1500ml) to carry in water for overnight and the next morning.

No comments: